Facility Design Principles
At DCI, we believe that a facility design is only as good as the principles and philosophy it embodies. For that reason, we have laid out the lean manufacturing principles by which our work is guided:
- Develop a team-based organizational structure.
- Organize the factory around products whenever practical.
- Design lines for continuous flow from raw material to finished goods.
- Implement demand-pull materials management processes.
- Reduce cycle times until they are less than customer delivery requirements.
- Eliminate non-value added work steps in the production process.
- Design-in operator check points that will assure quality.
- Store materials at the point of use.
- Minimize the investment in floor space, equipment, and material inventories.
- Reduce inventory transactions to a minimum, two is the goal.